When the inspiration came to write this story about a hare named Harley and his remarkable hair, I reflected about how the things that make us different are often the very thing we are most self-conscious about.
The shape of a nose. Freckles. Curly hair. A loud laugh.
I wanted to make anyone who feels uncomfortable about a physical attribute be celebrated for the gift of uniqueness they bring to the world.
So The Hare and the Hair is a feel-good story to remind us all that if someone is staring at you it’s absolutely because you’re awesome. No question!
Let me take you on 5 minute adventure that will make you love all parts of you. Scroll down for some discussion questions.
Harley is a lovely hare with a stray hair that makes him the brunt of all the jokes, until he solves his problem in a creative way with the help of a friend.
Read aloud time: 5 min
Format: read aloud
Themes/Keywords: being different, teasing, name calling, hurt feelings, friendship, creativity, trust
Protagonist 1: hare
Protagonist 2: insect
Word Count: 1058
Audio File: yes
Storybook: Book One
- Why does Harley feel uncomfortable about his single hair?
- Why do you think the other creatures of the meadow tease Harley about his hair?
- Is there something about you or how you look that you feel uncomfortable about?
- Think of someone you absolutely love: what is a unique feature about them?
- Which character would you most like to be in this story: Harley? Or the caterpillar?
You can find The Hare and the Hair” in the Everyday Icing Book One storybook in the shop.
Make sharing a story the sweetest part of your day <3